Glasgow School of Yarn

I spent this past weekend up in Scotland for the Glasgow School of Yarn, organized by The Yarn Cake. The GSoY featured a marketplace; tea, cake, stew & coffee; workshops; and other festivities. It's just about the only event of its kind in Scotland. And what a fantastic time it was!

I took a class with Amy Singer about submitting designs to Knitty. Not only did she tell us some specifics about how to get patterns into Knitty, with its unique sensibility and competitive submissions, but also plenty of general tips for pattern writing and design anywhere.

Along with Amy, I also got to meet Ann Kingstone, Stephen West, and Carol Feller. What a thrill to be rubbing elbows with such greats! I also made a whole slew of new friends, both Glasgow locals and people like me who had travelled for it. And of course there were the awesome vendors, such as Skein Queen, The Yarn Yard, Ripple Crafts and also a booth for P/HOP, giving out patterns to benefit Doctors Without Borders.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh church stained glass window glasgow blue heart rose art nouveau

The event took place in the stunning Mackintosh Church (also called Queen's Cross Church) in Glasgow's West End. This church, designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, was an ideal venue for the GSoY Design Competition - where designers were asked to come up with their best Mackintosh-inspired design. There were some really stunning entries. The winner was Shuttermonkey with her Beloved Rose bag and beret set. My personal favorites were Lucy Hague's Glasgow Rose shawlette, and Susan Hanlon's Hill House scarf. My design, Rose Tendrils socks, was awarded runner-up.
Joy Gerhardt Charles Rennie Mackintosh arts and crafts art nouveau Rose Tendrils toe-up socks pattern

(Rose Tendrils will be available soon... once it's test knit, it will be released)

I'm so glad I made it up to Glasgow! I'd never been before, and it was a long trip, but it was worth it!

~Joyuna

1 comment:

  1. The Rose Tendrils socks are gorgeous and that is such an appropriate colour for a Mackintosh-inspired design!

    As a currently homesick Glaswegian, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete