iTouch Jumper free pattern (iPod/iPhone sock)

Here's the pattern for my iPod jumper/sweater/sock/cozy (blogged previously). It's quick and takes, if my scale is to be believed, less than 10g of sock yarn, so it's perfect for scraps. It's easy to customize to fit your device - I made mine to fit my new (4th generation) iPod Touch, but with some adjustments it can be made to fit any generation iTouch or iPhone, or any similar device. Play around it with; you can 'try it on' as you go to ensure a good fit.

Ipod touch itouch 4th generation iphone holder cozy sock knitted free pattern

A fingering weight yarn with a good elasticity is important, so yarns with a large wool content are recommended. Smooth yarns are also better than fuzzy ones - I did my first one in Wisdom Poems, which is a fuzzy singles yarn, so when I tried to use the camera it ended up with a halo all around my photos ;) My second one was done in Knit Picks Essential kettle-dyed, a much smoother yarn.

The "jumper" starts with an invisible cast-on, is worked in the round for a while then worked flat across the back of the iPod, then joined in the round again, and finishes with a grafted bottom, leaving room for the USB cable and headphone jacks. Then stitches are picked up around the screen hole for increased stability, and finally stitches are picked up for the screen cover. Read on for the pattern.

iPhone apple ipod touch 4th gen cover case knitted wool sock yarn

This is a fairly quick-and-dirty pattern, designed to be modified on the fly to suit your own gauge and the size of your iPod or phone. If the numbers don't quite add up, don't freak out. :)

iTouch Jumper pattern
Materials:
US1.5 (2.5mm) DPNs
Superba Poems (aka Wisdom Yarns Poems Sock) color 2 / Knit Picks Essential Kettle Dyed color Timber - a small amount (approx 45 yards), or any fingering weight yarn.
A small (1cm diameter) button
ipod case 4g knitted free easy cosy pattern

Using Judy's Magic Cast-on, CO38 sts.
Power button hole: k5, dyo, k to end.
k5, drop the first yo loop, k1, k2tog, k to end.
k 1 round.
Front camera hole: k27, bo4, k to end.
Back camera hole: k2, bo3, k13, k8, co4, k8.
k1, co3, k to end.
k 2 rounds.
k22, bo16, k to end.
Begin working flat. The last 2 stitches of the previous round are now the beginning of the row.
Knit 1 row. From now on, slip the first stitch of each row.
Work 3 rows in stockinette stitch.
Up volume hole: sl1, k to 2 before end, dyo, k to end.
sl1, p1, drop 1st yo loop, p, p2tog, p to end.
Work 2 rows.
Down volume hole: sl1, k to 2 before end, dyo, k to end.
sl1, p1, drop 1st yo loop, p, p2tog, p to end.
Work about 6.5cm (2.5in) further.
At the end of the next knit row, co 16 and rejoin to work in the round.
Knit 6 rounds.
k2, bo12, k11, bo12, k2.
Kitchener or seam the sides together.

PU about 60 sts around the opening of the case. (round down as opposed to up, if you can't get an even 60 - these are the stitches that will 'hug' your iPod.)
Work 3 rounds of 2x2 rib and bind off in pattern.

Screen cover:
PU 20 sts on the back of the case, just under the back camera hole.
Slipping the first stitch of each row, work in alternating patterns of stockinette and garter stitch. I used 7 rows of stockinette, 5 rows of garter, but you can change the ratio and even change the stitch patterns to suit your taste. The garter stitch adds visual interest and also keeps the cover from curling.
After your last garter stitch section (I did 5), begin decreases:
sl1, ssk, k to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1.
sl1, p to end.
Button hole: sl1, ssk, k4, bo3, k5, k2tog, k1.
sl1, p6, co3, p to end.
sl1, ssk, k10, k2tog, k1.
sl1, p to end.
BO.

Finishing: 'Try it on' on your device to make sure the button holes, etc. are positioned properly. If they need some minor adjusting, block accordingly. After blocking, sew your 1cm button on over the home button of the iPod. Done!

~Joyuna


If you enjoyed this free pattern, please check out my other patterns as well! :)

11 comments:

  1. I love this pattern it is exactly what I was looking for... however my beginner status with knitting has proven very difficult for me to do this I keep trying but I keep pulling it out and starting over because I keep doing something wrong :( ... any help at all would be great... if you dont want to help thats great too I just wanted to tell you how perfect this was and to thank you for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    I'm glad you like the pattern! Please email me at Joyuna at gmail dot com and let me know what parts you're having trouble with. Many of the techniques in this pattern are sock knitting techniques, so if you master this then socks will be a breeze :D Hope you're not getting discouraged. Email me and we can try to figure out the problem. Cheers, Joyuna

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi im kinda new at knitting, definitely like it. i want to make a case for my ipod touch but im kinda having trouble understanding the patter... do you think you could make a video tutorial? i would appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nanni, this pattern uses a lot of techniques from sock knitting, such as knitting in the round, picking up stitches, and Judy's Magic Cast On. You can find a lot of video tutorials for these techniques at websites like knittinghelp.com and Youtube. If there's any techniques you're specifically having trouble with I'd be happy to help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Joy. I am a non-knitter, but I dig your knitted cases. I don't suppose I could pay you to make me one? I stumbled across your site. My name is Ryan....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this ipod pattern... Just going to start now on it... I'll email a picture to you when it's done!!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so awesome...Thank you so much :) I only know how to crochet though. Do you happen to have this pattern for crocheters?? Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, i cant understand the way of (begin working flat. The last 2 stitches of the previous round are now the beginning of the row.
    Knit 1 row. From now on, slip the first stitch of each row.)i stuck at here.pls help me...urgent

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kaylee,
    Which part are you confused about? 'Begin working flat' means to stop working in the round (knitting every stitch around without turning) and begin working back and forth (reaching the end of the row, turning, and then working back). The beginning of the row is at a different place than the previous beginning of round. To slip a stitch is to move the stitch from the left needle to the right needle without knitting it - this produces a tidy edge which is easy to pick up stitches from. You can find videos of many knitting techniques at knittinghelp.com.
    You can email me at joyuna at gmail dot com for further discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like you have one for me Smarth Phone S2 i thing is bigger than and i pot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! The pattern starts with an invisible cast-on, is worked in the round for a while then worked flat across the back of the iPod, then joined in the round again, and finishes with a grafted bottom. The cover is also knit flat. You can find a tutorial for Judy's Magic Caston here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html It's a common way to start toe-up socks or anything invisibly in the round.

    ReplyDelete