Tajik textiles - Clothing & Sewing

One of the first things I noticed, upon arriving in Tajikistan, was the colorful style of dress of the women – nearly every woman in Dushanbe wears a similar style of clothing, of a long dress (kurta) over a pair of loose, elastic-waisted pants sort of like pajama pants.

Tajikistan Tajik clothing kurta Central Asian clothes


The population of Tajikistan is about 98% Muslim, so conservative dress is preferred. That explains the loose, flowing tops over long pants – shorts are out of the question. Sleeves can be either short or long, depending on the weather and the occasion. The necklines were sometimes surprisingly low.

Sewing one's own clothes is a common skill for women in Tajikistan. A number of housewives I met worked part-time as seamstresses, and my host mother was able to sew clothing for her family (though she preferred to employ a seamstress, because she didn't like it very much!).

The bazaars are filled with all kinds of fabric, from material at 9 somoni a meter (about $2) all the way up to 70 or 80 som (that's up to $20 a meter) – those are normally colorfu velour decorated with rhinestones or sequins, reserved for special occasions such as weddings.
As far as I know, most of the fabric at Tajik bazaars probably comes from China, but Tajikistan does grow cotton for export.

Traditional Tajiki wedding guests party tuy Uzbek


I was lucky enough to have three Tajik outfits sewn for me - two were gifts from my host family, and the remaining one's fabric was a gift from a friend, which I then employed a seamstress to sew for me.

Tajik clothing textiles Central Asia Tajikistan



~Joyuna

8 comments:

  1. That's pretty great that they gifted you traditional clothes! Now you'll always have that awesome memory:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed, upon arriving in Tajikistan, was the colorful style of dress of the women – nearly every woman in Dushanbe wears a similar style of clothing, of a long dress (kurta) over a pair of loose, elastic-waisted pants sort of like pajama pants. beginner sewing machine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dresses, I love all the colors. Not so easy to find where I live. my page

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, lucky you. I would love to have all these Tajik Dresses for me. Sewing one's own clothes is definitely an interesting job and I would love to try that. Can you suggest a sewing machine for beginners that will make my job easy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well thanks for posting such an outstanding idea. I like this blog & I like the topic and thinking of making it right Term Paper Writing Service

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome dispatch! I am indeed getting apt to over this info, is truly neighborly my buddy. Likewise fantastic blog here among many of the costly info you acquire. Reserve up the beneficial process you are doing here.
    https://www.bestratedsewingmachinesx.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Along these lines, on the off chance that you need to figure out how to sew and contribute on this leisure activity to profit, you can likewise contribute on a decent sewing machine you can utilize.
    Knitting kits

    ReplyDelete