The Grateful Crane Shawl/Shawlette pattern

"There's a bend in the wind, and it rakes at my heart... There is blood in the thread, and it rakes at my heart..."

Bird wings knitted lace shawl silk mohair Japan benefit tsunami donation

I am very pleased to announce the release of my latest pattern, a shawl, called The Grateful Crane. It is inspired by the Japanese folktale つるのおんがえし (Tsuru no Ongaeshi), in English "The Grateful Crane" (also known at "The Crane Wife"). You can read a version of the tale here. In a nutshell, one day a poor man finds an injured crane, and nurses it back to health. The next day, a mysterious woman appears at his doorstep, the man takes her in, and they fall in love and marry. The woman weaves fine cloth for her husband to sell in the market for a high price, under the condition that he never watch her weave.
Of course, one day the man just can't help himself, and he peeks into the weaving room - he sees that crane he saved, weaving its own feathers into the beautiful cloth. When the crane sees that she is caught, she flies away, never to return.

It is a top-down triangular shawl in the form of wings, with some unusual shaping. The top of the shawl folds down into a collar, for extra warmth at the neck. It is knit in a feathery mohair and silk yarn, light, soft, and full of sheen.
for $6.00
Japan Earthquake Tsunami donating patting knitting elegant lace wings feathers shawlette

This shawl was designed with the people of Japan in mind. Until the end of July 2011, 50% of sales will go to Doctors Without Borders/MSF UK. That's $3 from every pattern.
You may think I'm a little late to the party, but aid is needed more than ever after the initial 'trend' of giving is over. To start it off, I have donated £20:


Yarn: 481 yds of laceweight yarn (Shown: Debbie Bliss Angel, just over 2 balls)
Needles: US 6 / 4mm
Special Techniques: Lace knitting, charts



~Joyuna

1 comment:

  1. Joyuna, I love this--especially since I'm a Celtic storyteller and harper, specializing in Scottish and Welsh tales and tunes--but once a year, I tell at a pan-Asian Dragon Boat Festival, which makes a nice change, and one of my favorite Japanese tales is this one! As soon as I finish making a lacy Celtic harp shawl and matching arm-warmers, I will probably be back for this pattern! Also interested in knitting sheaths. Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete