And we're live!

Well, this past month has been filled with ups as well as downs. For instance, I went to a hockey game and won a skein of buffalo, cashmere, silk yarn:

Green Buffalo Gold bison silk cashmere yarn


(I still don't know what I'll do with it. I can hardly bear to knit with it.)

On the other hand, my boss at the library informed me that they had their funding reduced and I didn't make the cut. Next Friday is my last day, but they've already reduced my hours to practically nil anyway.

But for a long time, I've been planning on setting up an Etsy shop to sell dyed yarn, handspun, and little knit items. And finally it is coming together. I just listed my first eight things today: Three skeins of handspun, one dyed skein, and two knit fruit.

Yes, knit fruit.

Knitted fruit still life


(Can you find the knitting?)

Originally I was planning on starting it during the summer, when I would have access to a kitchen and a lot of room to knit, spin, and dye. However, this recent job development has caused me to start things up sooner than I expected. I ordered a bunch of sock yarn last week, and over spring break I'll begin dyeing. In the meantime, I am knitting up lots of little trinkets with my leftover sock yarn. Hence the aforementioned fruit, along with lots of little pouches I'm going to fill with lavender (a natural moth repellent, don'chaknow!).

Knitted lavender sachet gift bags


So I'm pretty excited. It's thrilling to be distributing the product of your work to people who will enjoy it. My handknits drawer is starting to get overfull and I feel bad about all the stuff that's accumulating, that I will never have time to use. If I keep knitting at this rate, I could never appreciate each thing I knit.

~Joy wants to share the wealth. And possibly accumulate some wealth herself.

2 comments:

  1. How has your shop been doing anyway? I just re-started mine as a New Year's resolution. I had one a couple of years ago but I never really sold that much and after a while I just let it go. This time around things are going stellar. Not sure what I'm doing different besides having slightly different inventory... So I am going to keep doing what I am doing, and I hope that one day before too long I can stop punching a clock and just make cool stuff for a living! Someday....

    ~ Rhonda
    http://www.craftybitch101.comhttp://junkstop.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been doing pretty well :) I'm getting about one sale a week (I have 20-some sales, but most of those were all in one wave - I wrote about it in here too, the Sneak Attack). I'm learning so much and having a great time doing it.

    ReplyDelete